Harold Mews is one of the major characters on Cryptids Island.
From the now-inaccessible Mews Foundation website:
|“|| Harold Mews comes from a humble household, and an honest, hard-working family. At a young age, he inherited the Mews Corporation from his parents, and turned the struggling regional paper supply company into a multinational corporation with business divisions in telecommunications, aerospace, textiles, and traveling circuses. Mews has appeared on Poptropica Business Weekly’s list of wealthiest Poptropicans every year since its inception, and was thrice named the magazine’s “Businessperson of the Year.”
Mews was born with a passion for adventure. An avid outdoorsman, he’s spent most of his non-working hours testing his mettle against nature. Mews once swam from Bouffant Bay to Golden Harbor in under 20 hours, without the aid of a snorkel. He challenged Hermes to a ski race down Mt. Olympus, and won. He is the only person ever to ride the Great Booga Shark across Booga Bay, and live to tell the tale. But one quest in particular proved to be a turning point in Mews’ life.
Years later, Mews turned over day-to-day operations of the Mews Corporation to his trusted associate, Tough Horse, and established the Mews Foundation. Its mission: To expand the boundaries of scientific discovery. Through the Foundation, Mews hopes to achieve his lifelong goal of proving the existence of cryptids.
Harold Mews apparently offers a reward to whoever manages to find irrefutable proof of the existance of cryptids. He first appears when he rescues you after Gretchen Grimlock burns your kite while you were kitesurfing, stranding you out at sea. He then allows you to use his helicopter to find proof of cryptids. He also helps you in confirming the authenticity of the evidence you find. After confirming the existence of the Chupacabra, the Jersey Devil and Nessie, he alerts you to a Bigfoot sighting in the Pacific Northwest. You then track the sasquatch down to a cave, after which Gretchen Grimlock arrives to steal Bigfoot. After freeing Bigfoot, Mews tells you that he wished to buy up the land around Bigfoot's cave to create a sanctuary but that he lacked the funds needed. You then turn down the previously promised reward in order to help Bigfoot. He is impressed with your selflessness and gives you the Island Medallion.
- His name, appearance, and eccentric personality are probably based on real-life historic billionaire Howard Hughes, an aviator and filmmaker who suffered from obsessive-compulsive disorder, was known for being a womanizer, and once spent several months in a dark room.
- There used to be a Mews Foundation website, but the link now redirects to Poptropica. An archived version of the site can be found at archive.org.
- He shares similarities to Myron Van Buren from Survival Island.
- Both are extremely rich
- Both have butlers
- Both have their own mansions
- Both own helicopters, and use them to rescue you during the course of the island.
- Both are obsessed with animals and strange creatures, albeit for different reasons.